It’s the new hip food meat lovers hate – eggplant, or aubergine bacon.
But I personally think it’s delicious and you should give it a try.
The crunchy vegan snack has been met with derision by bacon lovers who say they have been “offended” by the suggestion it could taste like the real thing.
What is aubergine/ eggplant bacon?
First there was coconut bacon but the eggplant gives this pretender a texture like the real thing.
This recipe is pretty easy and uses 10 ingredients.
And it’s ready in 40 minutes.
I got this recipe for crispy eggplant/aubergine bacon from the Minimalist Baker, who has a number of tasty vegan and vegetarian recipes.
It’s very easy to do – marinate the eggplant in a mixture of smoky spices, maple syrup, tamari, and vegan Worcestershire sauce.
It gives it a smoky flavour, and goes a nice a golden brown.
How to make aubergine/ eggplant bacon
- First preheat oven to 225 degrees F (107 C)
- Then line one large or two small baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Slice an eggplant in half lengthwise and set one half aside for other uses
- Then cut the remaining eggplant in half lengthwise once more so you have two long, skinny pieces, then into thin strips.
- The next step is to make the sauce by adding avocado oil, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Then use small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use a brush (or a spoon) to brush both sides of the eggplant slices with sauce. Arrange in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet(s) and sprinkle with more black pepper.
- Then bake for 20-30 minutes or until the eggplant is deep red in color, appears dry, and is slightly crispy. If needed, increase heat to 250 (121 C) at the end if not crisping up.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. It will crisp up the more it cools.
- Finally, once cooled, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
After this delicious snack, fancy some workout tips?
Check out three exercises here which you can try out anywhere to get toned and terrific in my post.
Like what you have read? Then please share it on your social media and let someone else see these wise words!